The Pippin Prep is a preparative electrophoresis platform that separates and extracts DNA fragments. Using pre-cast and disposable gel cassettes, DNA is automatically collected in buffer according to software-input size ranges. DNA fractions (typically adapter-ligate NGS libraries) are removed using standard pipettes. Workflow requires about 1-2 minutes of hands on time per sample, and cassettes are available for extractions between 50 bp and 8kb. Typical run times (four samples per run) are between 50 and 100 minutes.
Benefits of the Pippin Prep™ DNA size selection system
- Minutes of labor saves time compared to manual gel purification
- Reproducible extractions provide more consistent results
- Provides narrow fragment size distributions for paired-end sequencing
- Minimal low molecular weight contamination reduce wasted reads and ambiguous indel calling
- Individual sample channels eliminate sample cross-contamination
|Electrophoresis voltage:||100V or 150V, constant|
|Typical current per lane:||2mA or 3 mA|
|Optical detection:||535 nm excitation,
640 nm emission
|Power requirements:||100-240 VAC, 2.5 A, 50-60 Hz|
|Weight:||15 lbs / 7 kg|
|Dimensions||7h x 11w x 21d (in),
18h x 28w x 53 d (cm)
- Brochure and Datasheets
- Posters and Presentations
- ABRF 2013: Sage - " New Automated Systems for Size-Fractionation of Protein Samples"
- AGBT 2013: Sage - "Introducing the Sage ELF: Multiple DNA size fractions from the same sample"
- AGBT 2013: Epicentre- "Gene, Transcription Start Site and Splice Site Identification Increased Through Use of Automated Preparative Gel Electrophoresis"
- AGBT 2013: Sage (Sage Suite) - "New products from Sage Science"
- AGBT 2013: PacBio (Sage Suite)- "Taking Advantage of Long Read Lengths with Improved Library Preparation Methods"
- Ion World 2012: "Faster DNA size-selection on the Pippin Prep"
- AGBT 2012: "The BluePippin System: Automated Size-selection of High Molecular Weight DNA"
- AGBT 2012: Epicentre and Sage - "Improved RNA-seq Library Quality and Workflow Enabled by Automated Preparative Gel Electrophoresis"
- AGBT 2012: Covaris and Sage - Complementary DNA Shearing and Size-selection Tools for Mate-pair Library Construction"
- PAG 2012: Digilab and Sage - "Complementary DNA Shearing and Size-selection Tools for Mate-pair Library Construction"
- AGBT 2011: "Expanded NGS Applications for the Pippin Prep DNA Size Selection System"
- AGBT 2011: Workshop Presentation, Chris Boles - "Pippin Prep 2011: New Applications - Expanded Cassette Offerings and System Improvements"
- AGBT 2010: "Automated preparative gel electrophoresis using the Pippin Prep system"
- Application Notes
- Case Studies
- Case Study: "Tag Team: Scientists Use Pippin to Optimize Nextera Libraries", Zach Herbert, Dana Farber Core Facilities
- Case Study: "Better Metagenomics Methods Offer Hope for Studies with Ultra-Low DNA", Sullivan Lab, Univ. Arizona
- Case Study:" New Take on RADseq Enables High-Throughput Variant Discovery", Hoekstra Lab, Harvard Univ.